Applicants from the Michener Institute
To practice as a Chiropodist in Ontario, you must hold a certificate of registration with the College of Chiropodists of Ontario (COCOO).
Please view the following information that will provide you with a greater understanding of the requirements for becoming a registrant of this College and assist you in the application process.
This section is intended for individuals who are about to graduate from the Michener Institute of Technology.
To start the registration process you must complete the forms below and submit, with any applicable fee(s) and documentation, to the College office.
Steps in the Application Process
- Review the General Registration Information web page and complete the general certificate application form.
- Mail the application form to the COCOO, along with the $200.00 non-refundable application fee, payable to the College of Chiropodists of Ontario.
- Official transcript of successful completion of other academic program(s). Transcripts must come directly from the educational institution to the College. A transcript must confirm that a degree/diploma has been granted.
- Complete resume / curriculum vitae
- Photocopy of your birth certificate
- Applicant must provide proof they are a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident of Canada, or authorized under the Immigration Act (Canada) to practise the profession in Canada.
- Certification of Three Month Clinical Experience/Internship Form. Must be forwarded to the College directly from the certifying institution or practitioner. To come in a letter from the Michener.
- Photocopy of your graduation diploma from the chiropody/podiatry program. To be provided after graduation.
- Official transcript of successful completion of an approved chiropody/podiatry program. Transcripts must come directly from the educational institution to the College. A transcript must confirm that a degree/diploma has been granted. To come directly from the Michener.
Steps in the Examination Process
- Review the Registration Examination Booklet.
- Review the Examinations Regulation (O. Reg. 679/93).
- Review the The Profile of Competencies Required of the Members of the College of Chiropodists of Ontario.
- Complete and submit the Accomodation Request Form (if required).
- Complete and submit the Confirmation form for writing the College’s Registration Examination.
Please specifically refer to sections 3 and 4 of the Registration Regulation which addresses the initial requirements for registration. The process for approving an application for registration to the College is that the Registrar initially reviews the documentation which you provide. If there are any deficiencies, then pursuant to the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, s.15 (2) the Registrar shall refer an application for registration to the Registration Committee if:
(a) the Registrar has doubts that an applicant fulfills the registration requirements;
(b) terms, conditions or limitations should be imposed on a certificate of registration and the applicant does not consent; or
(c) the Registrar proposes to refuse the application.
The Registrar will review your application once all required documentation has been received and determine whether it needs to be referred to the Registration Committee as per s.15 (2) of the Regulated Health Professions Act. We will advise you very shortly thereafter. The first step in the process is to complete the application and forward it, and all supporting documentation, to the office. We will keep you informed during each step in the process. Also, you can not work as a chiropodist or in any way hold yourself out as a chiropodist in the Province of Ontario until after you are officially registered with the College.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the College.
Please review the following important policies and regulations to your application and chiropody in Ontario prior to submitting your application.