Applicants from a Non-Approved Program
To practice as a Chiropodist in Ontario, you must hold a certificate of registration with the College of Chiropodists of Ontario (COCOO).
Please view the following information that will provide you with a greater understanding of the requirements for becoming a registrant of this College and assist you in the application process.
This section is intended for individuals who have graduated or are about to graduate from a non-approved program.
To start the registration process you must complete the forms below and submit, with any applicable fee(s) and documentation, to the College office.
Steps in the Application Process
PLEASE NOTE: Applications to get a program approved, is a lengthy process. Both the application to get a program approved and the complete application package should be received by the College no later than January 1st of the year the applicant intends to write the exam.
- Review the General Registration Information web page and complete the general certificate application form.
- Mail the application form to the COCOO, along with the $500.00 non-refundable application fee, payable to the College of Chiropodists of Ontario.
- Certification of Three Month Clinical Experience/Internship Form. Must be forwarded to the College directly from the certifying institution or practitioner.
- Official transcript of successful completion of an approved chiropody/podiatry program. Transcripts must come directly from the educational institution to the College. A transcript must confirm that a degree/diploma has been granted.
- Official transcript of successful completion of other academic program(s). Transcripts must come directly from the educational institution to the College. A transcript must confirm that a degree/diploma has been granted.
- Official evidence of registration with a licensing body sent to the College directly from the registration/licensing body (applies only to applicants who practiced in another jurisdiction).
- Complete resume / curriculum vitae
- Photocopy of your graduation diploma from the chiropody/podiatry program
- Photocopy of your birth certificate
- Signed copy of Confidentiality Agreement
- Applicant must provide proof they are a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident of Canada, or authorized under the Immigration Act (Canada) to practise the profession in Canada.
Application for Program Approval
Please specifically refer to sections 3 and 4 of the Registration Regulation which addresses the initial requirements for registration. The process for approving an application for registration to the College is that the Registrar initially reviews the documentation which you provide. If there are any deficiencies, then pursuant to the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, s.15 (2) the Registrar shall refer an application for registration to the Registration Committee if:
(a) the Registrar has doubts that an applicant fulfills the registration requirements;
(b) terms, conditions or limitations should be imposed on a certificate of registration and the applicant does not consent; or
(c) the Registrar proposes to refuse the application.
The Registrar will review your application once all required documentation has been received and determine whether it needs to be referred to the Registration Committee as per s.15 (2) of the Regulated Health Professions Act. We will advise you very shortly thereafter. The first step in the process is to complete the application and forward it, and all supporting documentation, to the office. We will keep you informed during each step in the process. Also, you can not work as a chiropodist or in any way hold yourself out as a chiropodist in the Province of Ontario until after you are officially registered with the College.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the College.
Please review the following important policies and regulations to your application and chiropody in Ontario prior to submitting your application.