Drug Regulation and Prescribing Privileges
NEWLY AMENDED DRUG REGULATION AND PRESCRIBING PRIVILEGES
Registrants of the College received an email on May 19, 2023 referencing recent amendments to the Drug Regulation and identifying the categories of prescribing privileges of our registrants. The Drug Regulation can be found online: O. Reg. 203/94: GENERAL (ontario.ca)
Registrant Prescribing Categories:
The following registrants have, effective immediately, full prescribing privileges under the newly amended Drug Regulation:
- All American trained DPMs, including DPMs who are registered as chiropodists;
- All Michener graduates from 2010 and beyond; and
- All registrants who have provided proof of successful completion of the Michener’s Continuing Education Pharmacology course (CHCP-800) available as of January 2022.
The following registrants have, effective immediately, partial prescribing privileges under the newly amended Drug Regulation restricted to Schedule 2 – Drugs that may be prescribed by a member (Topical and Oral) with the EXCEPTIONS of: the Oral Azole Agents (Itraconazole, Fluconazole), the Oral Allylamine Agents (Terbinafine) and the Oral Second Generation Anti-Histamines (Cetirizine):
- All Michener graduates from 2009 and earlier who have oral drug prescribing privileges** under the former Drug Regulation; and
- All registrants who are not Michener graduates who have oral drug prescribing privileges** under the former Drug Regulation.
** These oral prescribing privileges would have been attained with successful completion of the Michener’s Pharmacology for Chiropodists Continuing Education Course CH802.
Any member who wishes to have full prescribing privileges under the newly amended Drug Regulation but who does not currently, must successfully complete the Continuing Education Pharmacology course at the Michener and provide proof of successful completion to the College.
More information about the Michener’s Continuing Education Pharmacology course (CHCP-800) is available on the Michener’s website. As of June 2023, the cost for this course is $1050.00.
Competency, Skill and Judgment:
All registrants are reminded of their professional and ongoing obligation to ensure that they restrict their practice to areas in which they have the competence, skill and judgement, including with respect to their prescribing privileges. The College expects any registrants with prescribing privileges to maintain currency in the drugs they can prescribe through continuing education. Finally, the current Michener Pharmacology Continuing Education Course will provide Registrants an opportunity to refresh their prescribing knowledge, regardless of prescribing privileges.
Confirm a registrant’s prescribing status on the College’s Public Register.
Prescriber Resources for Controlled Drugs:
- Ontario’s Narcotics Monitoring System – Frequently Asked Questions
- COCOO Opioid Prescribing Resources
For more information, please contact the Practice Advisory Service at firstname.lastname@example.org.