Professional Liability Insurance

A member shall not practice unless the member provides the College with satisfactory evidence of,

  1. professional liability insurance coverage of at least $2,000,000: and/or
  2. coverage of at least $2,000,000 under a liability insurance policy carried by the member’s employer.


This bylaw provides protection both to the public and to the registrant. It enables the patient to have adequate remuneration should harm occur as a result of an error, omission or negligent act in their treatment by a member. It protects the practitioner from personal liability and debt should a patient make a claim against them.

This By-law requires members to carry a minimum of $2,000,000.00 liability insurance. Depending on the authorized acts you perform, you may wish to increase this amount. Discuss this with your insurance broker.

Members are required to sign a declaration stating that they carry professional liability insurance in accordance with the by-laws. Members are also required to provide the policy number and name of the insurance provider and expiry date.

The legislation requires members to carry a minimum of $2,000,000.00 per year, this is known as the “aggregate limit”. Individual policies will outline the limit of liability or amount “per claim”. While the by-law does not specify the amount per claim, it is recommended that it be no less than $1,000,000.00.

Your policy should cover you for any activities that fall within your scope of practice as defined under the Chiropody Act, 1991, subject to any terms conditions and limitations imposed on your certificate of registration.

A member who, performs any private services, even on a part time or temporary basis, must have his or her own professional liability insurance coverage. If you are employed by an institution, you will need a letter of verification confirming the limits of your liability and the above stated information, as verification that you have this insurance coverage. If you work exclusively in an institutional setting and you have the required coverage, you are not required to have additional individual professional liability insurance.

icon-angle icon-bars icon-times